Sunday 11 September 2011

Kira says...

As mentioned many a time in A Song of Ice & Fire, "Winter is coming" and it is very clear that Autumn is here with the trees getting naked and the weather going tits up. So really during these cold months we all want something hot to eat and comforting after a day of hard graft.

I recommend being prepared through out, if you're working early/late in the day you're going to be too tired to fuss about with food prep and will buy a bag of chips or something equally unhealthy and waste money.

Instead pop down to your local farmer market/grocery outlet and support the farmers during these tough months. Get a selection of vegetables and some stock cubes and start getting creative with soups/broths/stews. Nothing is more satisfying than a flask of hot tomato soup and a wee wholemeal roll for your lunch when it is frosty outside.

Make a large batch of the soup and put portions into tupaware/take away boxes to put in the freezer. This will save prep time and mean your veg won't go off in the fridge after a week.

There are many recipes online for different soups!

I know this post has been a bit random but I just wanted to share what I find helpful when Winter comes and dieting becomes slightly more of a chore.

3 comments:

  1. Actually Kira has a really important point here, you will be able to make quality soups using fresh ingredients and not have six hundred thousand grams of hidden fats injected into it for a longer shelf life. Make some batch's and store them in freezer, Genius and I think I might include a recipe or too in my next update!! Thanks for a great reminder Kira!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kikojui signature on a Kira post? :O

    I'd like to see a sample of a simple reciple :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, sadly I have a script that puts the signature automatically after each post, I'll try and fix that!!

    ReplyDelete