Monday 16 May 2011

Monday: Day 83, Sloooooooooooow day


Today was all about my new venture into fitness, I've always been an active guy, even in the brief period I was over weight.

However, before I went into uni, I had a Body fat percentage of 8% (admittedly I was skinny and not a fraction of the strength I have now) but recently I did the test again and it was around 26%.

SO I've let myself go, and I miss the insane speeds I could run at.

Over the years I had a fascination with martial arts, studying Kung fu (from a book) Kendo and Taekwondo.

All have been good to me in the terms of self defence, but fitness? not where I want to be.
Something i did take a liking towards was the circuit training we did in Taekwondo, it really made you feel the burn and also helped in flexibility and core strength.

So now that I have the time to set up, I've planned out my fitness, I'll be doing it daily in my normal lazy hours, might as well be productive!

Anyway, I hate Gimmicks, and as far as P90x is, it pretty much is a 80% awesome 20% gimmick.
I'll explain, p90x is a 90 day exercise challenge for athletes but adaptable for us average guys / girls.
It has a strict day to day work out regime, following one of its whopping 12 DVDs a day and doing the workouts mixed in with a refined nutrition plan, it leaves nothing to chance, if you follow the instructions you will become amazingly strong and fit.
However, it is very hard going and you need a lot of mental discipline to succeed!

I have over the years, slowly collected a lot of equipment, and this will be vital to some of the workouts.

I have currently, a bench with bar and weights, 2 dumbells (sadly maxed out on a low 10KG, I'm used to 14KG)
A floor standing 6'5 punch tower (not a bag) uses dense foam for a realistic hit, a abdominal cruncher( pile of shit)
Resistance bands, hand wraps, skipping rope 12oz training gloves, and light weight gloves for the punch tower.

The resistance bands will be used for pull up replacements as I have no door frames that will support a bar.

Anyway, I'll show you how they work out just how many calories you need to eat a day and you can try this for yourselves.

Firstly you'r weight, I'm currently 180 pounds (13 stone, even if muscle ways more than fat it's still relevant as this is not about how much calories in a diet sense, this is in a sustainable sense)

So you take that figure (has to be in pounds, easy to convert from stones just Google) and times it by 10, so in this case, it's 1800 X 10 = 1800
That number thats left is called the RMR (resting metabolic rate)

RMR is basically the number of calories that you need to breathe / exist.

Now next you have to calculate how many calories you burn using daily movements, this differs depending on you're job, so for the average person we would say X20% of you're RMR. less if your a computer programmer more if you are a builder.

So 1800(RMR) X 20% = 360

So on average I burn an additional 360 calories a day through normal life.

Then the final addition is the amount of calories that taking these daily workouts has on the body, they suggest it's around 600 calories.

So total is (RMR) 1800 + 360 (Daily burned) + 600 (P90x Training) = 2760 Calories needed a day.
This figure is then seperated into 3 nutritional levels.

1800-2399 = 1800 calories a day LEVEL 1
2400-2999 = 2400 calories a day LEVEL 2
3000+ = 3000 calories a day LEVEL 3

I'm level 2.

Then that level determins your allowences of portions, so for example, for me, in stage 1 (first 28 days) it is called fat shredder.

I'm to take 7 portions of protein
3 dairy
1 fruit
4 vegetables
1 fats
1 carbs
3 snacks
2 condiments


They describe in detail a portion, so for example 3oz of lean topside steak is 1 portion, so a 12oz steak is 4 portions worth.
your also supplied recipes for making things with different portion amounts, seems a bit extreme but nutrition is vital for getting results in exercise.

The gimmicky part is them pushing their bullshit supplements onto you, you can subsidise easily, you can use any brand whey powder if you need it or, in my case, I bought 30 eggs, egg white has a massive amount of protein in it and very few calories.
So if you ignore the products they push the regime is pretty tight.

I tried out of curiosity the Ab ripper X DVD it was only 16 minutes long, I thought ot myself this will be easy, I was wrong it was very VERY effective, the yoga DVD is a massive one hour 3o minutes long, and I've tried yoga its painful and very hard indeed!

Anyway I have to go, got no time left and tons to do!
I'll post tomorrow about the food side, let me know what you think about nutrition!

Peace out, my beautiful, beautiful readers!







No comments:

Post a Comment